Use LabVIEW to help students explore quadratic equations.
Quadratic functions are explored in various forms from Algebra 1 through college level math. These functions can be used to model the motion of objects falling to earth. If you know an object’s initial velocity and height, you can find out how long it will take for it to hit the ground if it is dropped. In this activity, students will:
• Solidify their understanding of standard form and vertex form for the equation of a quadratic.
• Gain a firm understanding of the real roots of a quadratic function.
• Learn how the discriminant is calculated.
• See the relationship between the equations and graphs of quadratic functions.
• Use quadratic functions to solve free-fall problems
This is a software only lab, so you just need to have LabVIEW installed.
Algebra: A.9, A.10, A.11
Algebra II: 2A.6, 2A.7, 2A.9, 2A.9